Monday, May 7, 2007
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
the kitchen after a full day's work... it doesn't look a ton different, but we did get the walls painted and my dad got A TON of woodwork done, very intricate!
My job for a good part of this weekend was to paint. Sounds like fun; it's good, mindless, and tedious work... good for a tired perfectionist like myself. Well, after about the 6th or 7th hour, the job gets rather agonizing. I mean, walls are ok, maybe even trim, but painting a sea of cabinet doors for hours can make you loopy. So here you go.... my thoughts after a long weekend of work... I decided to go over my top ten pros and cons of renovating and owning our house! I'll start with the bad because I always prefer bad news before good news...
10. It's been so tiring... I am so sleep deprived that I dream about getting more sleep
9. We have been ordering out a lot, so it gets expensive AND extra fattening
8. It's obviously expensive to do renovations, especially when unexpected things are needed... a quick trip to Home Depot ends up costing $200
7. Tearing apart this house has been so frustrating. The years of poor workmanship displayed as each layer of linoleum is uncovered makes me want to scream
6. I'm ruining all of my semi-old clothes because I'm confident I won't get paint on them...
5. Decisions, decisions. It's fun to pick out moldings, paint colors, and appliances, but seriously, my head is starting to spin
4. I hate our garage, period. I know we're lucky to even have one, but could the previous owners have left more crap behind?
3. The fear of bodily injury strikes fear deep within my heart each time I hear the roar of a table saw, drill, or even sander... do any of you know my father?
2. It's scary! I hate loud noises (I scream every time the compressor refills itself with air), bugs (hairy centipedes seems to like our house, plus Ryan said that he saw a HUGE spider in the basement the other day but it ran away too fast and he couldn't kill it! AAAHHH!!!), and dark places (I'm scared of pretty much the whole basement and can't go down there alone)... and I seem to be surrounded by ALL of my fears lately
1. It's overwhelming, plain and simple. There's just so much to do, and always more to do no matter how much gets done...
the scary bathroom
10. It's fun!!!! I love interior design and making things clean and pretty, and we've been doing a lot of that obviously
9. We always have a stash of candy handy... m&ms and blow pops... can be a bad thing but I justify it by telling myself I'm working hard and to just enjoy it for now
8. The feelings of accomplishment make me feel like I could do anything!
7. We are a mile from Panera, Starbucks, Abbots, Great Northern, and a few more miles from Cold Stone, superbig Wegmans, and coming soon... the Cheesecake factory! Plus a million more but those are just a few of my favorites
6. We get new stuff! I hate to even use my new appliances, I don't want to get them dirty
5. I have been loving being able to get my hands dirty! Yeah I'm a girly girl who's afraid of everything, but I have been LOVING demo-ing things! Talk about releasing stress... just smash some tile or rip out some nails if you're feeling anxious!
4. We are getting a freaking house!!!! NO MORE DORM! NO MORE BOYS! NO MORE BANGING HEATER! NO MORE CARS HITTING MY CAR! NO MORE PEOPLE RINGING OUR DOORBELL AND RUNNING AWAY! NO MORE BACK DOOR ALARM GOING OFF AT 2AM! NO MORE FIRE DRILLS! ok I'll stop
3. We have been getting so many visits from fun friends!!! We are also making new friends with all of the employees that work at the Henrietta Lowes and Home Depot! haha
Alyssa helping me sand... yay for fun friends :)
2. We have had the privilege of receiving generous amounts of precious time and labor from our families. I think I'm more grateful for the time spent together than the work itself. I will forever treasure listening to my dad repeat weird phrases and sing really loud as he works
1. I get to spend so much time with my amazing husband. oh yay. <3
THE UGLY (I couldn't resist)
Our scary basement!!! Don't worry people, we're working on it!
THE CUTE (wanted to leave you on a not so gross note)
Look who got to come out with mom and dad all day saturday! He was such a good boy!